Support our students
Many of the students you support through the Portsmouth Futures Fund are care leavers, have dependants, disabilities or learning differences, or are from black, Asian or minority ethnic backgrounds.
How you support our students
Your contributions fund:
- course material bursaries
- living expense hardship grants
- special equipment like dictation technology
- childcare expenses
- educational trips and learning enrichment activities
- postgraduate study expenses
“Portsmouth didn’t just look at my grades, they looked at me, the person behind them. They saw I had big ideas and passion and they offered me a place studying business right away”
Some students can only cover basic living expenses, even with their student loans, meaning they can't take advantage of all the opportunities available to them at university.
Your donation to the Futures Fund relieves financial strain and the associated stress and missed opportunities. Your donation allows students to take part in life-changing experiences, enhancing their education, employability and understanding of the world.
Often students juggle studies, part-time work and other demands, sometimes completely unexpected. Your donations help see them through.
Students supported by your donations
- One Portsmouth student from a low-income family couldn’t afford the necessary vaccinations to do an internship abroad. An award of £200 from the Futures Fund helped pay for the vaccinations, meaning she could go on the trip.
- Another student faced increased living costs related to his disabilities, putting his academic year at risk. A £500 Futures Fund award covered his living costs, enabling him to complete the year.
- When a postgraduate student was invited to do a prestigious internship, she received £200 from the Futures Fund allowing her to reduce her part-time work so she could participate.
"The bursary I received was an unbelievable help. I was given £500 that enabled me to stay in Portsmouth to concentrate on my final year studies, rather than moving home to save money. That would have severely limited my work output. This provision is, I believe, a direct factor in my achievement of a first-class honours degree."
Donate to Portsmouth Futures Fund
Every gift makes a difference. Even the smallest gift, when combined with others, can change a life.
We commit to reporting back to you to let you know how your donation has been used and the difference you've made.
Make a single donation to the Portsmouth Futures Fund or make a regular, or ongoing, donation.
Typical student costs covered by the Futures Fund include:
- £450 – the cost of basic study expenses for an average course
- £750 – rent and living costs for one month
- £1,000 – the cost to a creative technologies student to produce their final year project
- £1,160 – living costs for one term
Other ways to donate
Donate to reduce the attainment gap and provide equal opportunities so Black students can succeed and thrive.
Support our researchers to find innovative solutions for the critical challenges facing us all.