Male and female nursing students take notes

Healthcare Occupational health checks

The occupational health checks you'll need before registering on a healthcare degree course

If you're coming to uni to study a course in healthcare, you'll need to complete confidential occupational health checks and a disclosure and barring service check.

These checks help to prevent placement-related illnesses or injuries and make sure necessary adjustments are made before you start your placement.

You should complete all the checks and provide documentation between 1 July and 1 September before you begin your course in the autumn. We are unable to accept any reports and documentation prior to 1 July. All documents you give us must contain the most up-to-date information available.

Healthcare checks

If you're taking a course in health or care with us, you'll need to complete the following checks.

1. Occupational health questionnaire

If you are on a health and care course – not a dental course – you need to complete the Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust online confidential occupational health questionnaire.

When you're studying a healthcare course, your health might put be put at risk by the health of others, and vice versa. So you should disclose as much information about your health as possible.

2. Doctor's certificate (GP report) and immunisation report

You need to ask your GP to complete a doctor's certificate and immunisation report.

These documents need to be completed and submitted between 1 July and 1 September before starting a course in September. We are unable to accept any reports and documentation prior to 1 July. Please note, you might have to pay for this doctor’s certificate (GP report) and getting your certificate and immunisation report could take up to 4 weeks.

Once completed, send the doctor's certificate and immunisation report by email to or by post to:

Occupational Health Department
Queen Alexandra Hospital
Southwick Hill Road
Cosham PO6 3LY
United Kingdom

Disclosure and barring check

You'll do a criminal record (disclosure and barring) check during your induction week. To do this check, you'll be required to bring some personal documents. Visit the Government's website for details of suitable documentation.

You'll also need to provide details of your address history over the past 5 years including the full addresses, postcodes and the dates you lived at each address.

Dental students working on patient

Dental health checks

If you've been accepted onto a dental care course, you need to complete our dental health checks.

More about dental health checks

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close