Students signing up at the Dental Academy

What to do if you need medical support

Find out how and where to register with a doctor and get your jabs

You need to be registered with a local doctor to access NHS health services when you're at uni.

It's important that you register with a doctor (also known as a General Practitioner or GP) at a GP Surgery as soon as you arrive in Portsmouth. Don't wait until you're ill.

Health professionals at GP surgeries like the Practice Nurse can offer help in areas such as contraception, cervical smear tests and flu jabs, and a range of other physical and mental health conditions.

How to register

Contact a local surgery with your personal details and the name and address of your current doctor.

If you have an ongoing condition like asthma, diabetes or epilepsy, it's even more important to register with a local GP as soon as possible. Visit the GP for a health check (which is free to new patients), so they know who you are and what medication you're taking.

Make sure you don't leave your repeat prescriptions to the last minute.

Changing your address

If you change your term-time address, please contact your GP practice and let them know your new address. If they lose contact with you, you may no longer be registered with your GP.

Where to register

You can choose which surgery to register with, but it's a good idea to choose a surgery that's close to your home. If you live in University accommodation, ask at the reception of your Halls of Residence for your nearest doctors' surgery.

Find a GP

Southsea GP surgeries

If you live in Southsea, the nearest doctors' surgeries are:

Central/North Portsmouth and Cosham GP surgeries

If you live in Central Portsmouth, North Portsmouth, or Cosham, the nearest doctors' surgeries are:

Walk-in clinic

If you have a minor ailment and aren't registered with a GP surgery in Portsmouth, you can get urgent NHS medical care at a walk-in clinic. You don't need to make an appointment.

St Mary's Urgent Treatment Centre is a walk-in clinic on Milton Road in Milton.

Walk-in clinics can be extremely busy. You could wait up to 4 hours for treatment. You can check the current waiting time and opening hours on St Mary’s urgent Treatment Centre's website.

Pharmacy advice

You can get advice about minor ailments such as bugs, viruses, minor injuries, aches and pains from your local community pharmacy or chemist.

The nearest pharmacy to the University campus is Laly's Pharmacy on Guildhall Walk.

For more information on pharmacists and when they might be able to help, visit PharmacyFirst.