Smiling female student

Loans available to students from the European Union

If you're from a country in the European Union (EU), you may be able to access certain loans to help you cover your study costs and tuition fees.

EU Tuition Fee Loan 2020

If you're joining an undergraduate course, you can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover your tuition fees while you study. This can cover all or part of your tuition fees and is not dependent on your household income. The amount you borrow is paid directly to the University on your behalf.

How to apply

You can apply for this loan by completing an application form which you can download from the UK Government website.

We recommend that you apply as early as possible - preferably when you accept your offer of a place with us. If you do this, the loan will be paid directly to us, but if you apply for the loan after you start your course, you'll need to pay the initial fees yourself.

EU Tuition Fees and Loans for 2021

Following the UK's decision to leave the European Union; students from the EU, other EEA countries and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status from September 2021. Undergraduate, postgraduate and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021 will also no longer be available to EU students.


You'll need to start repaying your loan no earlier than the April after you finish university, as long as your earnings exceed the repayment threshold. The repayment threshold depends on where you live and work.

The following thresholds are taken from the Student Loans Company repayment information (for the period April 2018 to March 2019).

Repayment threshold Country
£10,000 Bulgaria, Poland, Romania
£15,000 Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia
£20,000 Cyprus,Greece, Italy, Malta, Spain
£28,000 Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, United Kingdom
£30,000 Denmark, Sweden

Repayments are made at the rate of 9% over earnings above the repayment threshold. For example, if you live in Latvia and you earn £19,000 per year, you'll pay back 9% of the £4,000 which is over the £15,000 threshold. This would be £360 per year or £30 per month. Any balance after 30 years is cancelled as long as you haven't missed any payments.

Erasmus+ Master Loan

If you're joining a postgraduate course, you should be eligible for the Erasmus+ Master Loan

This is designed to help Master's students with their living and tuition costs when studying in a country other than where they live or where they did their first degree.

You can receive a loan of up to €12,000 for a 1-year Master's or up to €18,000 for a 2-year Master's (or equivalent amounts in foreign currency for banks in non-Euro countries subject to currency fluctuations).

To be eligible to apply for the Master Loan, you must be a resident of one of the Erasmus+ Participating Countries.

How to apply

Visit the European Commission website for more information about the Erasmus+ Master Loan including how to apply.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close