students at freshers fair

What to expect in your first week

Find out what lies ahead during your first week as a new student with us

Your first few weeks in Portsmouth may be a little different to what you had expected, due to Covid-19. We have put together an exciting programme of Orientation events, both in person and virtual, that we encourage you to get involved with. The Orientation Programme is now live! 

Orientation Week will start from Monday 27th September. Here's a brief snapshot of what you can expect, what you need to do, and what you might like to explore.

Arrival programme and International Orientation 

Each year we welcome new students with an international and EU Orientation programme including campus tours, student information fairs and the opportunity to speak to UoP Global staff who can help you get settled into University life during your first few weeks studying with us. We'll send your orientation and registration programme to you before you start your first week.

This year, our programme will be online. 

Services and events will include:

  • Register for your course and get your ID checked online
  • Attend our International Orientation Programme where you'll learn more about the University – including welcome presentations workshops and social events, the full Orientation schedule can be found on MyPort
  • Obtain your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) if you applied for a Student Route visa and are here in Portsmouth– your decision letter from our Entry Clearance Office tells you whether to collect your BRP from the Post Office, or from the University. If it states the University, then your BRP card will be posted to you. Further details can be found below
  • Join a series of virtual social events
  • Visit the Virtual International information fair to discover more about our support services and banks
  • Take part in live Q&A’s with current international students
  • Attend workshops and inspirational talks, to get you motivated for the year ahead!

If you want help finding locations across the university, see our maps and directions page.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You need a biometric residence permit (BRP) when you apply to stay in the UK for more than 6 months. You don't need to apply for a BRP as well as your visa – you’ll get one automatically once your visa application is approved.

You can use your BRP to confirm your identity, your right to study in the UK, and your right to any public services or benefits.

If you have applied for your Student Visa outside of the UK, you must collect your BRP.

Obtaining your BRP:

  • From the Post Office: Take your passport and Entry Clearance Office decision letter with you to the Post Office. The Post Office is open Monday to Saturday 9.00am–5.30pm (Tuesdays 9.30am–5.30pm).
  • If you have given the ACL Code: please note that your BRP card will not be available to collect from the Nuffield Centre at the University. Please read the information below:

If you are planning to join us for the start of term you will need to complete the ID submission form once you have arrived in the UK as you will need to upload your UK visa with an entry stamp to confirm you have arrived in the country. The form will ask you to confirm your term time address. It is important to include your permanent UK address so that your BRP card can be posted to you, at this address.

We will notify the Home Office of your arrival into the UK and arrange for your BRP to be delivered to your current UK home address.

The delivery address will be the term-time address that you provided to us when you completed your ID check form. You cannot collect your BRP card from the University even though this address has been given on your visa decision letter.

After the Home Office receives the address information from us, your BRP will be produced overnight and will be scheduled for delivery by TNT/Fedex. TNT/Fedex will attempt delivery within 48 hours of collecting the BRP from production.

For more information please visit

If you fail to produce the requested documentation, you are at risk of exclusion.

Registering for your course

When you register with the University, you’ll need to provide evidence of your qualifications and documentation to verify your identity. For identification purposes, one of the following documents must be shown at the point of registration:

  • Valid passport
  • Proof of EU Settlement Scheme (EU/EEA students only, if applicable)

As evidence for your qualifications, you must provide copies of qualification certificates as detailed in your offer letter or CAS statement. Details of how to do this will be communicated to you closer to the time.

Please note, if you cannot provide proof of your identity by one of these means, you cannot be registered. The University reserves the right to exclude any student who is unable to satisfactorily provide proof of qualifications obtained.

If you're transgender and can’t provide documentation that reflects your gender identity, get in touch with and we’ll resolve this for you in a confidential and respectful way.

If you’re transferring from another university and don’t yet hold a visa for the University of Portsmouth, you’ll be required to show evidence of your visa application - such as the Home Office receipt - before you’re allowed to register onto your course.  

Paying your tuition and accommodation fees

You should make your payment through webpay or, if you are unable to pay online, by credit or debit card. We encourage this as bank drafts and cash can be easily lost during your travels.

Joining your course and attendance in Teaching Block 1 for February start courses

You should really try to avoid joining your course late as this will negatively affect your studies. Your term start date and the last date for registration is included in your offer letter.

We would recommend that you begin your studies virtually and you can take part in our Virtual Orientation and course Induction Programme from your home country during the current UK lockdown. Once the lockdown is lifted you can then join us when you can. The exception is in respect of courses where face to face teaching or blended delivery is permitted and your course leader would advise you accordingly.

You will need to make you sure that you have registered online by the latest date of registration so that you can access all the online resources for your course.

If you are travelling to the UK and will be staying in university accommodation, you'll also need to contact the Student Housing team to let them know when you'll be arriving

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close