English and creative writing courses
Browse courses by subject
What can you do with an English and Creative Writing degree?
Writing has the power to transport readers and listeners to an entirely different time and place, and to engage us in new ways with the world around us. In an increasingly digital world, written works still matter – whether to tell a tale, highlight a point or unlock an appreciation for another belief.
The ability to communicate with creativity and clarity is in high-demand, and the world needs people that appreciate literature and can add their own voice. Studying for an English or Creative Writing degree is the perfect foundation for many jobs in the arts, the media and publishing, where employers will value the analytical, communication and presentation skills you'll develop.
With a qualification in English or Creative Writing, you'll get a deep appreciation for the power of words. You'll develop skills that could take you into jobs such as a copywriter, advertising creative, scriptwriter, editor, bid writer, content manager, social media manager, press officer or teacher.
The study of literature spans genres from crime writing to magical realism, and classic to contemporary. It takes in the past to explore written works shaped by history, looking beyond the words, to study the art, culture and context.
If you've always dreamed of penning your own stories and developing your writing craft, then studying creative writing will give you the platform. Aside from building on your writing talent, you'll learn to write across different genres and creative industries, from print and online media to film and television.
Undergraduate English and Creative Writing courses
- Creative Writing BA (Hons)
- English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)
- English Language and Linguistics BA (Hons)
- English Language and Linguistics with Literature BA (Hons)
- English Literature BA (Hons)
- English Literature with History BA (Hons)
- English Literature with Media Studies BA (Hons)
- Film Studies and Creative Writing BA (Hons)
- Journalism with Creative Writing BA (Hons)
3 reasons to study English and Creative Writing with us
- You'll walk in the footsteps and hone your craft in the home of literary greats like Charles Dickens and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- You can combine your interests by studying another subject with your primary course such as BA (Hons) English Literature with History, BA (Hons) English Literature with Media Studies, BA (Hons) English Literature with Creative Writing, or BA (Hons) Film Industries with Creative Writing.
- Take advantage of our great links with industry, meaning you could do a placement with organisations like Red Apple Creative's audio book production team, Medtronic media technology services, Hays Specialist Recruitment, and the British Council.
Visit our annual virtual showcase to see exceptional work from our graduating CCI students.
Find out how you can discover the city, the University and our campus at one of our Open Days and Open Evenings.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.