Sanctuary Language Bursary
If you're seeking asylum in the UK or have official refugee status and you need to improve your English language skills before you study with us, you could get a free place on a pre-sessional English course with our Sanctuary Language Bursary.
There are 2 bursaries available each year.
What it includes
- Full tuition fees for the Pre-Sessional English Language Programme
- The cost of an English Language Assessment, if needed
To be considered for the Sanctuary Language Bursary, at least one of the following must apply:
- You have submitted an application to the UK Home Office for asylum or humanitarian protection
- You have been granted Discretionary or Limited Leave to Remain or some other form of temporary status as a result of an asylum application and are not eligible for funding from Student Finance England
- You are the spouse/civil partner or dependant of someone who has submitted an application to the UK Home Office for asylum or humanitarian protection
- You are the spouse/civil partner or dependant of someone how has been granted Discretionary or Limited Leave to Remain or some other form of temporary status as a result of an asylum application and are not eligible for funding from Student Finance England
- You have official refugee status
Spouses/civil partners must have been your spouse/civil partner on the date they made an asylum application. If you're a dependant of someone, you must have been aged under 18 on the date they made an asylum application.
You must also:
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer from the University of Portsmouth for entry in October 2021 onto an undergraduate degree course (excluding NHS funded courses)
- Need no support for accommodation and living expenses and live within a suitable distance to easily commute to the University
- Be able to provide evidence that the UK Home Office is considering your (or your spouse/civil partner/parent/carer's asylum application) – if applicable
Applying for the Sanctuary Language Bursary
To apply for the Sanctuary Language Bursary:
- Apply for a Pre-Sessional English Language Programme
- Once you're offered a place on the programme, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your application number and offer letter – make sure to tell us you're applying for the bursary
Deadline for applications
Please email us at least four weeks before the start of your programme.
We consider applications on a first-come, first-served basis, so contact us as soon as possible.
If your circumstances change
You won't need to pay back the bursary if your circumstances change – for example, if you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK as a result of an asylum application.