Humanities and Social Sciences Online Experience
The best way to experience Portsmouth is in person – but if you can't make a trip to see us for an Open Day, this Virtual Experience is here to capture some of the character of our city, and to give you a taste of what life is like as a student in our Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Discover some of the facilities you could use in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Your degree is just one step on your career journey. We'll help you find a work placement during your studies, and our Careers and Employability Service can give you career guidance for up to 5 years after you graduate. We can even help you create your own startup company.
Portsmouth is a great place to live and one of the most affordable student cities in the UK. You'll have lots to discover, from independent cafes and bars, to sports clubs, societies, galleries and museums. And you'll have the opportunity to learn a new language.
Let our students tell you what they love about studying with us, and find out where their degrees have taken them so far.
Our students' and academics' work
We're incredibly proud of our students and academics. Discover some of their stories of how they put their study and research into practice.
- Dr Anna Bull, Senior Lecturer in Sociology, won a national book prize for her sociological study of classical music
- Counter fraud Research Associate Shakiba Moghadam talks about her appearance on SAS: Who Dares Wins
- Our Associate Dean, Dr Jane Creaton, received national recognition for excellence in teaching and learning
- Professor Mark Button warns of the risk of cybercrime and other fraud in the approaching coronavirus-related recession
- Darkfest, our community celebration of the dark, sinister and supernatural, listed for an arts award
- Dr Christine Berberich, Reader in Literature, recommends five novels with a real sense of place, to let you explore the world from your home
- Dr Emma Maynard, Senior Lecturer in Childhood Studies, explains a new model for working with complex families
The lecturers' enthusiasm for their areas of expertise is infectious, and ensures that they create a comfortable environment where each voice and idea can be heard and recognised.
Explore the undergraduate and postgraduate degrees we offer within the following subject areas.
Take a closer look at what's happening in the Faculty – and what we've been up to before the lockdown – by following @uophumss on Instagram.